FSW245 Sinclair Community College NASW Code of Ethics Preamble Analysis – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
– Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
Social Justice is one of the core values on which the social work profession is based. ” Social Workers promote social justice and social change with and on behalf of clients.” (NASW Code of Ethics Preamble).
One way of addressing the value is to speak out about the issues that affect clients and the social work profession. A letter to an elected or appointed official official about a social welfare issue can be powerful and effective. The NASW website is a valuable source of information on key legislation affecting our profession and our clients. The site also has specific information on how to write and effective letter.
Summary of Assignment:
Draft a letter to an elected or appointed official on a social policy that affects clients served by Social Work. We will be sending this letter and tracking the responses. Be sure to choose an issue you are invested in.
Here are some of the things you may want to include in your letter:
- Name and role, if you are a constituent of the legislator
- Clearly identify the issue. Be sure if you have personal or professional interest in this issue to include
- Include a statement for what you are asking of the elected official.
- To support a particular bill
- Sign on as a co-sponsor
- Hold a public hearing
- Advocate for a particular matter
- Attend a function
- Invite the public official to get back with you on this issue to discuss further. Include your contact information so the legislator knows how to contact you.
- Find your elected officials at : https://www.usa.gov/agencies (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.)Sample http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aboutaasl/aaslcommunity/quicklinks/el/Sample_Letter_to_Elected_Officials.pdf (Links to an external site.)
ORDER NOW – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com