Research Survey- 2 or 3 pages(instruction and attachment enclosed) – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
– Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
As you have likely noticed when reading research studies, research articles start with an introductory section. This section summarizes prior research on the topic that the research study is about. This is important because prior research can inform reasons for the present study. Perhaps there are some findings that are controversial or gaps in what is known in a particular area or further questions that result from existing study results. Additionally, sometimes clinical professionals working in the field research what is known on a disorder or a treatment to present to colleagues and/or students working with them. For example, many hospitals and clinics have Grand Rounds where information is presented to the students and professionals who work in the setting. Given this, being able to summarize results from studies is important for researchers and clinicians in the field. You will have an opportunity to practice this skill in this week’s learning activity.
Use the information gathered for the Unit 4 Assignment to complete the following:
- Summarize the studies, similar to the introductory section of a research paper. Follow this with a research question you would want to study that follows from these studies and a hypothesis to accompany the research question.
- Write the Methods Section of your paper- consider whowould be in the study, how they would be recruited, and the study measure you would use.
- Add a cover page and reference page to your paper. Using APA format, also include a Running Head.
Example of what she is looking for:
Attached are a list of articles on “drug abuse” that were found that will be used for this research assignment, please read the instructions and proceed. Everything that I have attached will be useful and is what the instructor is looking for
Unit 5 Learning Activity
- Using the articles gathered for the unit 4 learning activity, summarize the studies, similar to the introductory section of a research paper. You can find five different articles if you prefer
- Follow this with a research question you would want to study that follows from these studies and a hypothesis to accompany the research question.
- Write the Methods Section of your paper- consider who would be in the study, how they would be recruited, and the study measure you would use
- Add a cover page and reference page to your paper. Using APA format, also include a Running Head
- One sample paragraph
- Different studies have assessed the efficacy of different treatments for autism, finding some support for a range of treatments, such as ABA, Pivotal Response, and LEND. These results were found in samples ranging in age from 3-15, including boys and girls. The predominant ethnicity of participants in the studies was Caucasian (A, 2015, B, 2014, C, 2000, D, 2005, E, 1999).
Sample next paragraph
- A (2015) and B (2014) found that LEND was associated with increased social interaction and daily functioning in children and adolescents in their studies. A (2015) used a sample of 100 adolescents and B (2014) used a sample of 50 fifth graders. D (2005) found that pivotal response increased verbal ability in a sample of 3rd graders. C (2000) and E (1999) showed that ABA was effective at teaching adaptive skills and reducing aggressive behavior. C (2000) used a sample of 3 year olds and E (1999) used a sample of 12 year olds
Sample next paragraph
- Overall, from these studies, it seems that different therapies can be effective in different ways. These studies did not compare these three treatment techniques in terms of their effectiveness on a single behavior. As such, it could be interesting to explore whether ABA, Pivotal Response, or LEND is most effective with a specific behavior, such as with increasing the range of foods eaten by autistic children who have a restricted range of foods that they will eat. Thus, for the following study, I will explore the question: is ABA, Pivotal Response, or LEND most effective at increasing the range of foods eaten in autistic children who have a restricted range of foods that they will eat? My hypothesis is that all three treatments will show some efficacy, with ABA showing the most effectiveness in increasing the range of foods that these children will eat.
Sample methods section
- For this study, I will recruit 150 children, aged 5-7, who are diagnosed with autism and who have a restricted range of foods that they will eat. I will send fliers about this study to special education schools that focus on children with autism within Syracuse, providing contact information for interested parents. Parents will undergo a brief phone screening, assessing when and how their child was diagnosed with autism, the current foods their child will eat, and any medical or dietary restrictions. Children who eat fewer than 15 different foods and who have a valid diagnosis of autism will be included in the study. Children whose parents are implementing dietary restrictions or who have medical issues that restrict the foods they can eat will be excluded from the study.
Sample methods section continued
- Once 150 children are enrolled in the study, they will be randomly assigned to receive ABA, Pivotal response, or LEND treatment focused on increasing the range of foods they will eat, with 50 children assigned to each group. Foods eaten will be tracked through a food diary that parents and teachers will complete daily. Baseline data will be collected for two weeks prior to the start of treatment, with parents asked to complete the food diaries daily starting two weeks prior to receiving the treatment. The children will receive treatment for 3 weeks and parents will be asked to continue to complete the food diaries for 2 weeks after the end of treatment. To compensate parents for their time and effort, and to encourage continued participation in the study, treatment will be provided at no cost and participating families will receive $10/week. Teachers who participate in the study for enrolled children will receive $50 toward new classroom supplies at the end of the study.
Sample methods continued
I will count the different types of food eaten per week and will run analyses to see if the number of different foods eaten during the first two weeks of data collection differed from the number of different foods eaten during the last two weeks of data collection. Additional analyses on different foods eaten while the treatment was ongoing will also be conducted to explore the rate of change in the different groups
From your Unit 5 Learning Activity, it should be clear:
- Overall, what was found from prior studies- give the reader the big picture. DON’T list studies (study A did…. And found…. Study B did…. And found…. Study C did…. And found…)- that is not integration!
- What one might be left curious about- what more is there to know on the topic?
- Your question and hypothesis related to what more there is to know on the topic
- An overview of how you would structure a study of this question (Consider: who would be in it? How recruited? What data would you collect and how? How long would the study last? Would there be any incentives? What might you do with the data?)
ORDER NOW – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com