Siege of Béxar – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
– Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
- 500-700 words (excluding the title page, works cited, and citations).
- Each essay should support a thesis statement with information gained from research or investigation. Make sure your thesis is narrow and focuses on one particular aspect of a topic. This is a short paper so make sure the topic is small enough to fit.
- Each essay will not be just a report presenting information, but will be an essay that carefully examines and presents your own historical interpretation of the topic you have chosen and your interpretation of the information you have gathered. History is more than telling stories of past events and people, instead it is the interpretation of their importance.
- These essays will be submitted via the assignment link in the appropriate lesson. You will be directed to do the essay in the lesson.
- Citations must be included. It does not matter which format that you choose as long as they are accurate and include page numbers.
- You must use three sources to develop your essay, one source should be the textbook, (other sources may include books, journals, etc). NO WEBSITES WILL BE ALLOWED. There is a link in “Student Resources” that will take you directly to the CTC Online Library where you can find credible sources for your research.
- You must submit (included within your paper).
- a works cited page listing all the sources from which you gather information to use in the essays.
- a title page that includes a title, date, your name and which essay it is (First Essay or Second Essay).
- save your file under the following naming format: LastName, FirstName, Title of Paper.
The first paper will cover the time period of early Texas through the Texas Revolution. Choose a topic from the following list (Again remember to narrow the scope of the topic even further. The narrower the focus the better the paper).
- Indians of Texas (you may single out one tribe or research them as a group)
- Explorers of Texas (you may single out one or more explorer)
- The Texas Revolution (subtopics include battles, heroes, weapons of war)
INTRODUCTION & THESIS: Includes a clear thesis statement, an assertion or position. Topic is original and manageable in a short research paper. /22.5
FOCUS AND DEVELOPMENT: Body of the essay focuses on this thesis and develops it fully, recognizing the complexity of issues and refuting arguments in opposition to the thesis. /30
SUPPORT AND SYNTHESIS: Uses sufficient and relevant evidence to support the thesis (and primary points), including facts, inferences, and judgments. Quotes, summarizes, and paraphrases accurately and effectively–appropriately introducing and explaining each quote. Shows a clear understanding of the sources; has evaluated each source and used it appropriately. Uses a wide variety of sources reflecting significant research. /52.5
CONVENTIONS: Uses MLA format correctly; includes a Works Cited list; is free of errors. /22.5
CORRECTNESS AND STYLE: Introduces the topic in an interesting way; shows critical thinking and depth of understanding; uses appropriate tone; shows sophistication in language usage and sentence structure. /22.5
ORDER NOW – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com