SPEECH1010 Broward College Determining Points Within a Speech Paper – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
– Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com
- Use effective verbal and nonverbal communication when delivering a speech
- Identify the audience and environmental variables that influence speech delivery
- Apply common techniques for accepting and managing listener feedback
In this case study, you will explore the process of interpreting audience-related and environmental factors as well as adjusting speech content and delivery to adapt to the situation.
Step 1 Consider the scenario.
Your professor has asked you to give a speech at an upcoming job fair that will convince the audience to take the speech class in which you are currently enrolled. The job fair will be held in a part of the city with a relatively low unemployment rate and the people attending are likely to come from middle- to upper middle-class families. Many of them also work full-time and are looking for opportunities to advance their careers with higher education, but do not want to waste time or money on classes that won’t directly relate to their current work or their goals. You can’t gather all the characteristics of all the career fair attendees in advance, but you do know that the way in which you explain the advantages of taking this course and the type of language you use will affect the attendees’ decision on whether or not to enroll.
Step 2 Answer the questions.
In a one-page (250-word) paper, address the following related to the scenario:
- When you state your thesis, how will you phrase it to avoid negative reactions from potential applicants who are expecting more pay and better benefits when they first start with the company?
- What language strategies would you use in your speech to make it sound more appealing to the entire group?
- What techniques could you use to establish common ground with everyone in the audience?
- How would you change your speech delivery if the audience consisted mostly of low-income mothers trying to enter or re-enter the workforce?
- Apply a range of techniques for creating different types of presentation aids
- Demonstrate how to incorporate presentation aids successfully into a speech
In this practice exercise, you will explore the process of determining points within a speech that can benefit from the use of presentation aids during the delivery.
A one-page (250-word) paper and an original presentation aid
Step 1 Refer back to a past outline
Step 2 Determine presentation aids.
Determine the type(s) of presentation aids that would best support your points.
- When identifying the type of presentation aid, keep in mind that you will be creating one of these presentation aids as the next step in the assignment. You must be able to submit the presentation aid electronically.
- Enter the information about the presentation aids for the two points into your word processing document.
- Include a brief explanation of how each type of presentation aid will support the corresponding point in the speech.
Step 3 Create a presentation aid.
Select one of the presentation aids that you identified and create it. For example, you could:
- Use a software application such as Microsoft Excel to create a chart or graph.
- Create a few PowerPoint slides that you would use during a specific part of your presentation.
- Take a digital photograph that illustrates a concept or point in your speech.
- Record a portion of an interview as an mp3 file.
These are just a few ideas of how you could create a presentation aid for your speech. Whatever type of presentation aid you create, follow the guidelines presented in the lesson to make the presentation aid as effective as possible.
Step 4 Write a summary.
In a one-page (250-word) summary, describe how you would incorporate the presentation aid into your speech delivery.
- At what point would you introduce the presentation aid? How would you use it to enhance your presentation?
- Are there any special considerations you should take into consideration when preparing to present your speech based on including the presentation aid?
ORDER NOW – Excelsior Writers | excelsiorwriters.com